Sunday, December 17, 2017

FREEBIE! Winter Break Wordless Picture Book

It's nice to have the webinar behind me. I can go back to what I enjoy most: illustrating and making learning materials! I spent today revamping a little 8-page wordless book about winter break that prints two-sided and folds in the middle for stapling. The whole book requires just 2 sheets of 8.5 by 11" paper. It uses only a tiny bit of colour ink and also prints well in grey scale. Some images were intentionally left as line drawings so that students may add the colour if they see fit. I keep a box of coloured pencils in my cabinet for those days when we just need a short break from the cognitive heavy lifting.  Colouring is also therapeutic for those experiencing PTSD. Margaret Margaritis and I have both observed students having better focus and lower affective filter during and after about 20 minutes of colouring.


As for the webinar, I suppose it went pretty well, but I have since thought of several things I'll do differently if we are invited to repeat somewhere. For one, I think we should have been more explicit in our directions. Teachers were to look at the graphic organizers and come up with specific ideas for how the initial collection activity could be a springboard to further study of one of the parts of speech. I've created a space on my Flipgrid where anyone curious about Back-to-the-Well or anyone who already believes in slowing down, turning fewer pages, and engaging learners more deeply can drop in with questions or ideas. Hey, if nothing else, just stop in to see how Flipgrid works! It's SO easy that even my seniors AND literacy learners can use it. There's nothing to register for, no email address required. Come on, you know you wanna. ;)

2 comments:

  1. hi, Kelly!

    I was so sorry to have to miss the webinar. A family event had to be moved right into the time-slot. Too bad because I was looking forward to it, and I do hope you'll be giving it again somewhere....maybe at the TESL Ontario conference next year? Will the webinar be posted on Tutela? I haven't seen it yet. Hope so. Looking forward to digging into the resources you posted. I took a peek at the semantic organizer. I like it!

    Thanks again, for all you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Christine (not Christina) with the Duchenne smile! I'm sorry to have taken so long to respond to this. I can see now that the webcast has been published for viewing at any time by members of TESL Ontario. Just log into Tutela and go to My Groups - TESL ON. You should see it there under events. Let me know if these instructions are not clear enough. I do hope we will do a repeat somewhere because there are substantive things I will change if I get a chance.
    Oh, also know that I went back and made some improvements to the winter break wordless booklet. So the improved version is now on the website for download.
    Have a restful break. --K

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for participating in this forum. Anonymous commenting is available, but is not intended to shield those taking pot shots at those of us challenging PBLA. If you are here to do that, please use your name.